Friday, June 24, 2005

sfl, day 5

Lunch at the conference center cafeteria, but still good; laksa (noodles, shrimp, bean sprouts, and tofu in a coconut-curry soup) and roti. The laksa was just like the lunch special noodle soup at Berkeley Thai House, and I've never seen it at any other Thai restaurant. I wonder if the Berkeley Thai House is run by Malaysians....? For dessert, two scoops of ice cream: black sesame (yum...) and durian (umm....) (yes, I know better, but I did anyway).

For dinner I went to a place called Straits Chinese because it had several of Chun's recommended dishes on the menu. I had Nasi Goreng (fried rice) and Otak-Otak, which is a sort of Singapore Gefilte Fish, steamed in a banana leaf, with all sorts of intense flavors mixed in. Incredibly delicious (thanks, Chun!). I tried to get Bobo Cha-Cha, which is neither a Star Wars character nor a dance but rather a dessert, which was on the menu but unavailable. As always seems to be the case when a restaurant doesn't have something that's on their menu, they seemed confused and amused that I would even ask for such a thing. They brought me the next thing down on the dessert list which was a cup of cream and a molasses-tasting syrup with bits of green jelly and a ball of ice. The quest for bobo cha-cha, whatever it turns out to be, continues.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the non-worldly among us, what is "durian?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home