Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hellooooo Whittier!!

I am now my own cookbook. Went back through the blog for inspiration and ended up making this meal for TIRK this weekend.

Had a few friends from work over for dinner at my own actual place in Santa Cruz yesterday, for a change. Made my Mom's caponata (more or less) for both appetizer and side dish (hi Mams!) and wang a main dish as follows:

On a bed of Italian farro cooked in the broth from soaking dried porcini and chanterelle mushrooms, plus dry sherry, a little port, a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and the sliced mushrooms, I put a piece of baked (black cod/butterfish/sable -- take your pick), then drizzled with truffle oil and sprinkled with diced chives and fresh marjoram. I don't usually serve "plated" dishes but this worked out pretty well. For dessert, ice cream with raspberries and brandy syrup. To make brandy syrup:

Put 1/2 cup of brandy in a saucepan on high heat. Add 2 tablespoons sugar. Watch the alcohol quietly boil off as expected until it suddenly ignites and leaps into 2 foot flames. Hold the saucepan at arm's length with a stunned look on your face while all your guests watch until it finally burns down. Lose any cool-chef points you may have picked up by serving the fancy plated fish. Chill in freezer, pour over raspberries and ice cream. Delicious.

I'd love to hear from my reader in Whittier. It's you, my family, and a very small handful of friends. Cheers!

-David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home